Effective Date: November 9, 2021
Table of Contents
- Personal Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- How We Use Personal Information
- How We Share Personal Information
- Other Important Information About Your Personal Information
- Internet-Based Advertising
- Your Choices About Your Personal Information
- Contacting Us
1. Personal Information We Collect and How We Collect It
The personal information we process depends on the products you use and how you access them. We collect information when you directly interact with Coast in the following ways:
- Requesting a Prequalification, filling out an application and creating a Coast Account
- Making purchases using a Card
- Browsing coastpay.com or our client portal
- Onboarding Users and Administrators to the Company’s Coast Account
- Using any Coast mobile apps
- Connecting bank accounts to the Company’s Coast Account or paying a Coast bill
- Calling, chatting, or interacting with Coast (such as with our customer service or sales representatives)
Information needed to apply and create a Coast Account
If you are requesting a Prequalification or applying for a Coast Account on behalf of a Company, we need to process a certain amount of preliminary information about you, the Company, and individuals associated with the Company to create a Coast Account and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. When you request a Prequalification and/or apply for a Coast Account on behalf of the Company, we may process:
- Your name
- Your title or role on your team
- Your email
- Your phone number
- Your address
- Your date of birth
- Your password (hashed)
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Other information and documents pertaining to your identity such as copies of a passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued ID
- Information related to the Company, including the Company’s legal name, address, copies of the Company’s corporate documents, Employer Identification Number (EIN), gross annual revenue, number of vehicles/employees, type of business, and years in operation
- Information about individuals with managerial authority or individuals who have an ownership interest in the Company (see “Information necessary to comply with regulatory and legal requirements” below)
- Bank account information
- Information about the device(s) you use to apply for an account (such as IP address, geolocation, and device type)
Information necessary to comply with regulatory and legal requirements
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each business that opens an account, including information about each “beneficial owner” of the business. A beneficial owner is any individual who, directly or indirectly, owns 25% or more of the equity interests of the business and a single individual with significant responsibility to control, manage or direct the business. What this means for you: if you apply for a Coast Account on behalf of the Company, we will ask for personal information about you and each beneficial owner of the Company, together with information we receive from identity verification services and other third party service providers, that will allow us to identify each of you, including:
- Phone number
- Current or previous addresses
- Date of birth
- Other information pertaining to such person’s identity such as copies of a passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued personal identification
Information needed to use our products and services
If the Company or an Administrator thereof creates a profile for you as a User or Administrator or otherwise allows you to use our products and services, we need to process certain personal information about you, including:
- Your name
- Your email
- Your phone number and other contact information
- Your department and location
- Your driver’s license number and its expiration date
- Information about the vehicles owned or operated by your business, including make, model, year, license plate, VIN, fuel type and tank capacity
Information processed when you make a transaction
Each time you make a payment using a Card, we receive information about your transaction. We may receive this information directly from you or from our financial partners (including the platform providing payment processing and card issuing services to Coast and the bank that is a member of the card network indicated on Coast cards and that is responsible for issuing the cards to you) or the card network. We may process:
- Purchase amount
- Purchase date
- Purchase location
- License plate and odometer reading of the vehicle you were using at the time, which we may ask you to provide at the time of purchase
- How you used the card (whether you dipped it, swiped it, used it online or in a store, etc.)
- Receipt information
- Information provided to us by the card network associated with transactions, merchants, or cardholders
Information automatically processed when you interact with our website, mobile app or online services
We may process:
Browser and device information.
- IP address
- Mobile and other hardware or device identifiers
- Operating system
- Browser information, such as type and version
- Referring and exit pages, including landing pages and pages viewed
- Device event information, including crash reports, request and referral URLs and system activity details
Information about your use of our website or mobile app.
- Your location
- What you click on and what you type, time you spend on our websites, and other user experience information
Cookies and trackers.
- Provide you services such as those that allow you to chat with our customer support team
- Perform website and mobile analytics
- Improve the advertisements you see
- Help prevent fraud and prevent attacks against our websites and services
- Advertise and promote Coast products and services, and additional products and services from our partner companies
- Websites you visit
- Length of time the advertisement was visible
- IP Address
You can block these at any time using your web browser settings, but doing so may limit browsing experience and your ability to use certain features of our services.
Information processed when you interact with Coast teams
We may process personal information about you when you call, chat, email, or interact with members of Coast teams (such as customer support, sales, or marketing), including:
- Your name
- Your email, phone number, address or other contact information
- Content of your communications, including, in some cases recorded calls, and survey responses
Information related to billing and payments
We may process personal information about you when you authorize, make or send a payment on behalf of a Company’s Coast Account.
- Your name, address and telephone number
- The amount sent and received
- Payment type and account information
- Pictures of any checks and related information
Information Processed from Our Business Partners and Service Providers
We process personal information we receive from financial partners, identity verification services, and other third-party service providers, and personal information you share with us about your use of their products and services:
- To comply with regulatory and reporting obligations
- To facilitate your use of our products or services, or other products and services
- To underwrite the Company’s account
- To conduct fraud monitoring, prevention, and detection
- To fulfill commitments to our business partners
- To fulfill requests made by you
Information processed to integrate third-party products and services with a Coast Account
If you choose to link a Coast Account with products and services provided by our business partners, we process personal information we receive from them to ensure our products and services work properly together.
To underwrite and provide you with the highest credit limit possible, we may require you to give us information about the Company’s finances and we may ask for access to the Company’s bank account. We may use third-party service providers to process information about the Company’s bank account activity. When you link your bank account, we may process the bank account credentials and all information associated with the bank accounts associated with those credentials, including:
- Account names and numbers and unique identifiers associated with your bank
- Bank account type
- Transaction history and related information
- Account balances
In the course of applying for an account with us, we may ask you for copies of the Company’s bank statements and other financial information about the Company. The foregoing information about Company’s finances and bank account activity may include personal information.
To link the Company’s bank account with your Coast Account, a third-party service provider may use and store your bank account credentials. We do not store your bank account credentials on Coast systems.
We get information from financial service providers such as our issuing bank, card networks, and institutions that process payments on our behalf to make our services work. The information we get includes personal information related to your transactions using a Card as described above.
Information processed to conduct fraud monitoring, prevention, and detection
We process personal information from our business partners, financial service providers, credit reporting agencies, identity verification services, public sources, and other third parties to prevent fraud.
Information processed as a result of a business partnership, referral, or agreement
We enter into agreements with financial partners and other businesses that provide products and services related to ours, and as a result of these partnerships, Coast may receive personal information related to that particular relationship or partnership. We may process information about:
- You and your relationship with the business partner
- Your email or other contact information
- Your membership or relationship status with the business partner
To comply with legal and regulatory obligations, we retain certain personal information associated with requests for Prequalification and rejected applications for Coast Accounts.
2. How We Use Personal Information
We process your personal information for the reasons stated specifically in this policy, but we may also process personal information about you to:
Operate our business and provide tailored services to you.
- Communicate with you about our products and services by phone, text, email, or chat
- Monitor, prevent, and detect fraud or unauthorized activity
- Secure our systems and products
- Mitigate financial loss, claims, liability, and other harm to Coast, our users, our partners, or third parties
- Manage, operate, and improve the performance of our products and services
- Determine eligibility for Coast products or services
- Help you make a payment via ACH, check or direct debit
- Provide you with tailored recommendations
- Identify, fix, and troubleshoot bugs and errors
- Facilitate reporting, analyze performance, and auditing
- Understand how you use our services so we can make enhancements or improvements
- Facilitate business relationships or comply with contractual obligations
- Comply with our regulatory, legal, and other compliance obligations
- Advertise or market services and products to you
- Determine eligibility for and provide rewards
- Compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties
- We may use information about your geolocation to enhance the security of our products and services and to prevent fraud
Provide you with support.
- Help identify and troubleshoot problems with your account
- Survey your opinions through surveys or questionnaires
- Communicate with you and respond to your specific requests or questions
- Manage and send you notifications, confirmations and important information about your account and our products and services
Anonymized and aggregated data
To better target advertisements, improve, and market our products and services, and for other promotional purposes, we may transform personal information into de-identified information by removing or masking information that could be used to identify you and by aggregating or combining de-identified data with other information. If you don’t want us to use your data in anonymized or aggregate form for promotional purposes, contact us at email@example.com.
3. How We Share Personal Information
Sharing for business purposes only
- To operate Coast’s products and services or support general operations of Coast’s business
- To integrate the products and services of our business partners with a Coast Account
- To use third-party cloud services to host our website and store the information we process about you
- For any other legitimate business purpose
Anonymous or aggregated information
We may share anonymized or aggregated information, or other data that does not directly identify you or the Company, with third parties.
We share your personal information with our service providers that operate and provide services on our behalf. These service providers need access to your personal information to perform information processing, manage or enhance our customer information, tailor services to you and your preferences, and perform other services related to our business.
Financial and business partners
We share personal information to facilitate the services we provide to you with our business and financial partners.
Payment processing and card issuing partners
Credit reporting agencies
We share information about you, if you are requesting a Prequalification on behalf of the Company, with credit reporting agencies and other third parties in order to obtain one or more credit reports (also known as consumer reports) and other information about you and the business. We use this information for the following purposes:
- Evaluating the Company’s request for Prequalification and application for a Coast Account;
- Administering and servicing the Company’s Coast Account (if approved); and
- Offering the Company financial products and services.
Coast uses this information to evaluate whether to offer Coast Services to the Company, rather than to you in your personal capacity. Upon request, we will inform you whether or not a consumer report was obtained and the name and address of the consumer reporting agency that furnished the report.
Card network partners
Visa separately processes information related to your use of your cards. For more information on how Visa handles your personal information, please visit Visa’s Global Privacy Notice.
Partnerships and referrals
We share personal information to facilitate referral partnerships. For example, if you were referred to us through an organization we may provide confirmation to that organization that your Company opened a Coast Account with us, and information relating to Coast Account activity for the purpose of calculating any referral fees we owe related to the referral.
Sharing authorized by you, your users, or authorized representatives
Compliance and compelled disclosure
We may share personal information:
- to comply with applicable law, regulation or payment network rules
- to enforce our contractual rights or comply with contractual obligations
- to protect the rights, privacy, safety and property of Coast, you, our customers, our business partners, or others
- to respond to requests from auditors, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulators, and other public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence.
4. Other Important Information About Your Personal Information
We use organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect personal information; however, no data security program is entirely secure. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if you believe that your personal information or any other confidential information that you have provided to us is no longer secure or has been lost or stolen. If we confirm that there has been a breach of personal information or confidential data related to you, we will notify you.
Use by minors
If you are under the age of 18, you may not have a Coast Account or use our products or services. We do not knowingly process any information from, or direct any of our products or services to children under the age of 18. Please do not provide us with any personal information related to children under the age of 18.
Personal information related to users, administrators, company owners, and authorized persons or representatives
Coast Account users
Our products and services are intended for use only by businesses, and you may only use a Coast Account or Card if you are an employee or other authorized representative of the Company that has opened a Coast Account. The Company and its Administrators are responsible for managing the Coast Account and Cards associated with that Company. If you are a User, an Administrator can: restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to or ability to use the services, access personal information about you, access or retain information stored with us, and restrict your ability to edit, restrict, modify, or delete information associated with your use of our products and services.
5. Interest-Based Advertising
We use analytics services, such as Google Analytics, to help us understand how you access and use our websites, email communications and other online services and interactive features. In addition, we work with agencies, advertisers, ad networks, and other technology services to place advertisements on our behalf on other websites, services and devices you may use. For example, we may place ads through Google and Facebook that you may view on their platforms as well as on other websites and services. Typically, though not always, the information used for interest-based advertising is collected through cookies or similar data collection technologies.
As part of this process, we may incorporate tracking technologies into our own online services (including our website and email communications) as well as into our ads displayed on other websites and services. Some of these tracking technologies may track your activities across time and services for purposes of associating the different devices you use, and delivering relevant ads and/or other content to you.
While you may disable some tracking technologies by blocking cookies in your browser, you may still see advertising as part of a broader marketing campaign. For further information on your rights and choices regarding analytics and interest-based advertising, please see “Your Choices About Your Personal Information” below.
6. Your Choices About Your Personal Information
The information collected and processed in connection with each Coast Account is governed by our agreements with the applicable business customer. If you are a User or Administrator of a Company’s Coast Account, the Company and its Administrators may be able to access information about you and limit your ability to edit, modify or delete information associated with your use of the Coast Account. If you do not agree with our data practices, please notify us in writing, ask the Company to deactivate your profile on its Coast Account, delete any cookies you may have on your devices, and cease all use of our products and services. In certain circumstances, the Company on whose behalf we provide services will need to confirm your choice before we can fully process your request.
Please note that if your personal information is deleted from a Coast Account, or if the applicable Coast Account is closed, we may retain and use certain personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, carry out legitimate business functions and enforce our agreements.
If you are a User or Administrator of a Coast Account, you may withdraw consent to receive Notices electronically at any time by ceasing to use our products and services and following the instructions in our User Terms to opt out. However, if you do not consent to or opt out of receiving Notices via email or text messaging, which is our primary method of communicating with you, you will not be able to use Cards or other Services and your User or Administrator profile, as applicable, will be deactivated. For more information, please see our User Terms.
Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising
In order to improve the user experience on our website, we use the software Hotjar. You can learn more about Hotjar’s practices at https://www.hotjar.com/legal/policies/privacy and you can always opt out of their data collection by visiting https://www.hotjar.com/legal/compliance/opt-out.
We use LinkedIn Insights Tag to retarget our website visitors and learn insights about your interactions with our LinkedIn advertisements. You can learn about LinkedIn’s privacy practices at www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy, and you can opt out of LinkedIn Insights Tag at www.linkedin.com/psettings/.
We support the self-regulatory principles for online behavioral advertising (Principles) published by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA). More information about these Principles can be found at https://youradchoices.com/. If you want to opt out of receiving online interest-based advertisements on your internet browser from advertisers and third parties that participate in the DAA program and perform advertising-related services for us and our partners, please follow these instructions: https://youradchoices.com/ or https://optout.networkadvertising.org/
When you elect to opt-out through these sites, they will place an opt-out cookie on your device indicating that you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements. Opt-out cookies only work on the internet browser and device they are downloaded onto. If you want to opt out of interest-based advertisements across all your browsers and devices, you will need to opt out on each browser on each device you actively use. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. If you delete cookies, change your browser settings, switch browsers or computers, or use another operating system, you will need to opt-out again.
If you want to opt out of receiving online interest-based advertisements on mobile apps, please follow the instructions at https://youradchoices.com/appchoices.
California’s “Shine the Light” law permits California residents that have an established business relationship with us to request certain information regarding our disclosure of certain types of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com and specify that you are making a “California Shine the Light” request. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We may require additional information from you to allow us to verify your identity and we reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email address specified in this section.
8. Contacting Us
If you have concerns, questions, or would just like to better understand our privacy practices at Coast, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or if you prefer to contact us by mail, please write to K-Dimensional Holdings d/b/a Coast, Attn: Legal, P.O. Box 483 New York, NY 10014.